Saturday, November 8, 2008

Nuclear Pumpkin: Not A Disaster

Today I unpinned Nuclear Pumpkin from the blocking board. (Mostly because I was sick of it being in my way, more than because it was dry.) Dug helped me unpin it, and then came the moment of truth.Not only does the Nuclear Pumpkin Sweater fit me, my friends...it fits me and DOES NOT SUCK. I won't claim that it represents good taste or great fashion, because I don't have a clue about that kind of stuff, but it is soft and comfy. The bottom hem - the most worrisome element - fits me at the right place. The sleeves are the right length and they don't mind being shoved up to my elbows. The hem around the neckline, which you can't see very well in these pictures, and with which I experimented a great deal, turned out fan-freakin-tastic. There is just the right amount of length in the armholes, enough so that I could wear a t-shirt underneath, but not so much that the sleeves could function as a hang-glider. Oh yeah - and the side shaping that I spontaneously put in to account for the fact that my hips are six times wider than my waist? It worked out so well that it's eerie. I LOVE this sweater.

Here are my boobs.

Here I am, revelling in the perfect fit of my sweater, and wondering why I don't have lips anymore. (Perhaps they've migrated north, to my nose?)
Again, I feel the need to point out that when I finished this sweater, the bottom hem fell in the middle of my tummy, the sleeves were tight and weird, and the armholes wanted to sit on the tops of my shoulders. I owe the success of this sweater not to my mad knitting skillz (I am a terrible knitter - really) but to the miracle of BLOCKING.
Maybe someday I shall post photos and a play-by-play description of one of my earlier sweaters which fell to disaster, all because I scoffed at the concept of blocking. It is humiliating to me, but perhaps it may save other New Knitters out there from the same despair.
I know people will ask, and the answer is YES, Dug did have to talk me into changing out of my Dr. Pepper pants before modelling my sweater in the front yard.

7 comments:

MickieMcDog said...

It is beautiful! And the photos really show the true color! I want it!

JenLaurie said...

YOU ROCK!

Maxim said...

Wow that looks great! I assume this is dry clean or hand wash or something like that?

Carey said...

I will hand wash it using the same method I did before I blocked it - soak it in the washer with no-rinse wool wash, spin cycle, soak in clear water, spin cycle, lay flat to dry. It's not much more of a pain than regular machine-washing; especially if I can have several items soaking at once.

zoƫ said...

Oooh! Wow! I think Dug would also look very good in that color. It is not too girly at all.

Carey said...

No, shut up, it is GIRLY. Much too girly for boys to wear. (MINE!)

mbsings said...

I like it! I'm so mad jealous of your spinning/dyeing/knitting skills.