Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Delphinium Progress, With Better Photos

When I'm not at work or soaking up all the attention my friends can give me or cleaning out my mom's house (okay, well, holding the trash bag while Scott cleans out my mom's house), I am sitting at home, sulking and feeling sorry for myself, and because I'm never one to pass up an opportunity, I'm taking advantage of my sulking time to knit away on this scarf:

I love working on this scarf. It will need a little blocking, but I'm going to have to take care not to block it too much because the stitches create a very three dimensional fabric and I don't want to flatten it out and lose that effect.

Again, my pictures just don't do this scarf justice, even when they are not blurry. Okay, look at the top two to get the idea of how the stitches and beads are put together, then look at the picture below to get an idea of the vibrant color:
See how it's a very rich, luscious pink, and then it has swirls of black-white-and-tan on top of it? A very nice color. Geezis, that window sill is filthy. Somebody get over here and dust. Yuck.

This project is special to me because my mom bought this fiber and dyed it herself when I first got my wheel. She was so excited about it. Naturally, once I started knitting something out of it she lost interest in it and I'm pretty sure she thought the beads were stupid. But we'll overlook that and just concentrate on the specialness, shall we?

We can also agree that the beads are SO not stupid. You can't tell from my deplorable photography, but these beads, which I bought at fusionbeads.com (see them here: http://www.fusionbeads.com/shop/product/27572/ ), are clear ruby pink but lined on the inside with silver to make them reflective, and they are gorgeous.
I'm really not a bead person OR a lacy pink scarf person; I'm sure I won't keep this scarf for myself, but my grandpa's new girlfriend Adorable Jan caught me working on it and said very casually, "Oh, I CERTAINLY LIKE PINK," and "MY, I HAPPEN TO, COINCIDENTALLY, LIKE BEADS. COUGH, COUGH," so I think I may have found a very deserving recipient for a project that is so close to me. Hooray!

No comments: