Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Green Room

The House Part 3: The Green Room
When my mom and I moved into my grandpa's house back in 1993, my mom made me paint the sun room (formerly my late grandmother's sewing room) green. Goodnight Moon, Kiss-Me-I'm-Irish GREEN. And then she spent the next few years turning the woodwork I'd painstakingly painted white into a dark, dark nicotine yellow. The ceiling, probably once white, stayed dark brown. She didn't want me to change it because she liked the nicotine as a DESIGN element.

When Dug and I began our house-cleaning last Tuesday, we quickly identified the "green room" as the most difficult room (well, besides the basement and attic, but we're just working on the living areas of the house right now) to clean out, and started there first. There was junk piled up to the ceiling. The walk-in closet could not be walked in to. There were mounds of trash and debris that had to be excavated before we could see the floor. Somehow, in our fervor, we got all of the trash disposed of, the treasure sorted through, the drawers emptied and furniture shoved out of the room, and at 10:00 that night we found ourselves giving the room a good coat of kilz.

The next morning, paint swatches in hand, we went to Lowe's intending to purchase a sophisticated, creamy beige paint to start coating the walls. We stopped by the paint chips to be sure we'd made the right decision, and simultaneously we spotted the absolute perfect color for that room. I felt Dug's arm tighten around me. My eyes met Dug's smoldering gaze and I breathed huskily, "We're gonna ditch the beige and paint it RED, aren't we?" Dug grasped my hand passionately and assured me, "Yeah, duh, you knew we would." I jumped up and down a little and replied, "Teehee!" Then I did some clapping and squealing. Dug shook his head and told me, his voice laden with anticipation, "You are stupid." I gasped. "No," I said, "YOU are stupid." Then we said that back and forth about 347 times until the store guy said, "You're BOTH stupid, okay?"

Anyway, the important thing is, Dug and I still agree, it's a really good red:
And also that closet you see there? Scott came over the next day and totally helped me finish cleaning it out. Woo!!



Zoetrope was asking me if I'll have a good room for spinning when we move. Oh yes, yes I have.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I knew before I finished reading that is was going to be your spinning room...you lucky girl. The color is lovely.

Carey said...

Thanks! (Patty, is it?) I am so excited. I hope that you, too, soon jump on the blogging bandwagon so my friends and I can see your wheel and your spinning adventures!

Maxim said...

I seem to dimly recall train tracks sort of near this house. Is it close enough for railway noise to be a problem at all? I don't remember.

The paint job looks great.

Carey said...

There ARE train tracks close to the house, but not so close that the trains are loud; you can only hear the whistling (tooting? horning?) faintly and Dug and I both happen to really like that sound. I'm so used to it I hardly notice it and everyone else seems to find it to be soothing. So yes, close, but a pro rather than a con. I'm glad you like the paint!

Maxim said...

And you can squash coins on the tracks whenever you feel like it! I never get tired of that one.