Thursday, February 26, 2009

Converts

Damn me for not having my camera with me last night, damn me! Yesterday Windy IMmed me to plan our weekly Wednesday get-together, and she said the sweetest, most beautiful thing anyone has ever said to me. She said, "I'm ready to learn how to spin."

And did she! I know she feels as if she was struggling, but I'm so impressed at how quickly she got the hang of things: threading the orifice, fitting the yarn across the flyer hooks, treadling, drafting, managing the twist, joining new fiber. The real treat for me, as I was hiding around the corner pretending not to watch (instead of looming over her and making her nervous), was the look on her face as all of the motions she was learning popped into rhythm and suddenly she was making yarn.

Best day ever! It gets better though: the whole time she was spinning, Joe sat next to her, staring at the wheel with utter fascination, and when she was done, he even tried it for a minute. I might have TWO converts!

Life is good.

1 comment:

The Hartzogs said...

Hmmm. I'm not sure I want to start a hobby that involves "threading orifices." (Not that there's anything WRONG with that.)

Oh, sorry. I forget that you don't watch TV. That was a Seinfeld reference.