Friday, January 11, 2008

I got a spinning wheel.

I've been knitting for a while now. Every year for a decade I've completed a few simple projects here and there, the odd Christmas gift and the occasional ineptly constructed sweater. I enjoyed it, but inevitably put down the needles after each project in favor of other pursuits. Then it hit me. In the past few months I've gone through The Transition knitters sometimes talk about. You know, that metamorphosis from Casual Knitter to Raving Obsessed Knitter.

Well, the worst happened. I've become so fascinated with yarn that...I got a spinning wheel. My family got it for me for the holidays. My mom and I did the research and decided on a cute little Ashford Kiwi. Just to see if I liked it. Just to see if I could get the hang of it. I received it from UPS just last night, assembled it, and I DID get the hang of it (photos of Travesty Yarn to follow). It is just as wonderful as I imagined it would be. After my husband Doug, it is the best thing that ever happened to me. 

That's how I've ended up starting a blog. 

You see, I couldn't wait to tell everyone at the office about my marvelous experience.

So I did. When the first unsuspecting victim wandered into my cube for morning chit chat, I clapped my hands childishly and announced, "I got a spinning wheel!" She looked at me for a few seconds, blinking irritably, and responded, "What's a spinning wheel?" I was deflated. I tried explaining it to her, but it only got worse. The conversation ended with her asking me, "Why would you want to make YARN?" 

I tried it again. I spotted a friend in the hallway. She started telling me about her day. "Aha," I thought. I waited, impatiently bouncing on my toes, until she asked, "How are YOU doing?" Grinning, I told her, "I got a spinning wheel!" Her nose wrinkled. Her eyebrows got closer together. "What's a spinning wheel?"

"Nevermind," I said. 

I was feeling disturbed at this point, but I put it out of my mind. One can't assume that every fellow woman is fascinated with fiber arts. I moved on. Then yet another coworker instant messaged me. THIS was a friend I had shown knitting projects to. She would understand.

"I got a spinning wheel!" I told her. She said, "ipod?" Huh? "Er, no," I said, "A spinning wheel." A minute passed. Then she replied, "Is that an ipod?" I briefly considered gouging out my left eye with my letter opener, but thought better of it. I told her, "No, it's a spinning wheel." Another minute passed. Then she asked, "What's a spinning wheel?" 

Oh for #$#$'s sake. 

So that, my friends, is what has drawn me, a non-blogger, to the internet: The realization that I have no one to frikkin' talk to. 

Hey, anyone who's listening? I got a spinning wheel. 
 

4 comments:

MickieMcDog said...

Hurray! You are totally awesome!
Love
Mom

Maxim said...

Pictures! I demand pictures!

KnittingFool said...

My first reaction to your news about your spinning wheel was "EEEE!!! Spin some yarn for me!!"

Angus is a cutie!

josie pond said...

i don't knit, but even i know what a spinning wheel is.

personally i would think anyone who had seen "Sleeping Beauty" would know what a spinning wheel is. then again i was obsessed with sleeping beauty. that, and i remember going to "missouri town" and watching somebody spin yarn in grade school...