Monday, January 21, 2008

Look!

I accomplished a lot of stuff this weekend. I spun on Saturday, and then decided that henceforth, Sunday shall be "Finish What You Started Day." In that spirit, I shall show you what I finished on Sunday. First, my "Azure Socks" from this winter's issue of Knitty, designed by Deb Barnhill. These socks are, so far, my favorite thing that I have ever knitted. LOOK, they fit! And LOOK - the design goes up the back. Isn't that clever? So cute.

Deb was going for a nautical theme in her design, but I used fuzzy yellow Frog Tree alpaca yarn, which makes my socks look like wheat. Which is appropriate because I live in Kansas, don't you think?

Next, I finished Dug's mitten.
Unfortunately, Dug insists that having a PAIR of mittens is really the way to go. Despite my better judgment, I have started the second mitten, and am noticing something alarming. I was sure that my second batch of first-time-spinner mitten yarn was just as crappy as the first. But it is not. It is lovely. My first mitten is a bulky mess of thick-and-thin fiber, which would be fine if the second mitten matched it. The second mitten is softer, with elegant, perfectly even little stitches and visible, tidy increases in the shaping of the fingers, which would be fine if the first mitten matched it. The only thing these two mittens will have in common is size and color. (By the way, I'm not using a pattern - I just did a figure-eight cast on and kept knitting until it looked like a mitten.) I am wondering if I have enough fiber left to make a third mitten that might resemble the second more closely than the first.

Finally - and I was saving this for last because I am SO proud of myself - I have spun and plied one skein of yarn in the Muppet Entrails colorway. (Thanks to Maxim for the name.) The fiber is a South African top - I have no idea what that means, but it is incredibly soft. It is not very even, but LOOK. Look how pretty it is!

I am so cool.

3 comments:

Maxim said...

All the celebrities are going to want one of those mittens for concealing their identities from paparazzi!

The Hoopers said...

OMG Carey you are so talented! and patient. I still haven't finished my "first" scarf from almost 2 years ago. Will you finish it for me?

JHartzog said...

LOVE the mitten. Although I am surprised (knowing your sense of humor) that you didn't put the "thumb" in the MIDDLE of the glove...you could call them "flippens" instead of mittens. Could be the new, hottest trend! But seriously, very impressive work. Hmmm, maybe I should take up butter churning?