Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Navajo Plying: Why I'll Never Knit Again

On Sunday, I taught myself how to Navajo ply. There are a lot of problems with Navajo plying, the main one being that I will never knit or do anything else or leave my house EVER AGAIN, because I will be Navajo plying. I am fully addicted to it.

Navajo plying is a technique used to create a 3-ply yarn from one single (rather than having 3 separate bobbins with 3 singles), by simply making a giant crochet chain and giving it twist. The advantage, if you have a somewhat variegated yarn, is that you can use this technique to keep the colors together.

Here is an image of the last of my Muppet Entrails I yarn (above), which I 2-plied, and the first of Jennifer's Muppet Entrails II yarn (below), which I Navajo plied.
As you can see, on the 2 ply, there are different colors being twisted together, but with the Navajo ply, the colors are all kept together. (I'm not explaining that very well, but that's why there's a picture.)

I love the MEII in the Navajo ply. LOVE IT. Jennifer is very lucky that I am a GOOD GIRL and and am going to spin up ALL of her MEII yarn and get it to her very quickly. I am NOT going to become distracted by my Blugly wool and do this:

I am going to Navajo the heck out of this Blugly, people. I mean, once I start spinning it. Which I won't do, until Jennifer's yarn is done. Ahem.

1 comment:

Maxim said...

You are a true friend.