Friday, June 20, 2008

I Can't Garden

What does this have to do with knitting, spinning or anything remotely to do with fiber? I DON'T KNOW, but I'm distressed. I tried reading some other knitting blogs - the blogs of highly esteemed, book-writing, pattern-writing knitting gurus, and all over their pages: GARDENING. Successful, beautiful gardening. Whereas I have murdered no less than thirteen shrubberies since my house has been in my possession, and every bulb I've ever planted has lain miserably in the ground without even a hint of life.

In other news, Jennifer spent last weekend exploring the yarn shops of Clinton, MO, and brought me back a PRESENT! That's right! SOCK YARN!
This is Crystal Palace bamboo-cotton-nylon blend sock yarn. The colors are beautiful, the texture is soft and snuggly, and I can't wait to start making a new pair of socks with it! (Those of you who live in my house will be saying, "Who says you're waiting? Isn't that a sock toe I saw on the coffee table?" Quiet yourselves.)

I was lamenting to Jennifer that I have so many delectable yarns piling up, not to mention all the spinning-and-knitting projects I'm coming up with, and how I have not been churning out finished projects as quickly as I would like, how I don't knit fast enough, how I'm not meeting my own expectations, etc. Jennifer, ever tolerant of self-induced drama, replied, but with more cussing (and this is highly paraphrased because I can't remember her exact words, exactly, with exactness): "What the #$#% are you talking about? This is YOUR hobby. The only person imposing deadlines on you is YOU. This isn't something you OWE anybody. Work on what you want to when you want to and shut up about it. Dumbass." Eureka! She's right! (As usual.)

I am not concerned about being verbally slapped into reality by Jennifer (on a daily basis), because I am permeating her psyche with EVIL. See this? This is a bunch of wool, and a drop spindle, and this photo was taken at Jennifer's house, by Jennifer. BWAAAAAAH HAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAA! I'm just waiting to see what her first spinning wheel will be. Heee! (Note to Mom: See that wool? It has been dyed and then CARDED to get that color effect, so I'll need you to buy me a $900 drum carder. Thank you.)

3 comments:

JenLaurie said...

Carey is evil. Pure evil. Since you gave me the spinning bug, I now expect more of the multi-color fiber to spin.

Dug said...

Actually, I had every intention of starting a garden, this year, but there is a huge pile of sticks on top of the plot... And I am LAZY! ha-HAH!

Maxim said...

Huge pile of sticks? I don't know nothin' about it.