Monday, June 16, 2008

Weekend Update

I'm feeling overwhelmed by all the things I want to get done, so I spent this weekend working diligently on Blugly. (I really did!) It's frustrating because every time I take a step forward, I take a step back. On Friday night I put the live stitches on waste yarn, tried it on, stared in the mirror, and asked myself the dreaded question every successful knitter must ask herself mid-sweater, "Does this button band look like ASS?" Sadly, the answer was YES. So I ripped out the button band, consulted the pattern, consulted the internet, thought about what I'd learned from knitting the Button Band of ASS and I feel that I have a reasonably good chance of knitting a non-ass-looking button band the next time around. I'm going to finish the sleeves before I give it another go. Also, I am concerned about the cabled ribbing along the bottom of the sweater. I read that it pulls in, and then you block it, and then it's fine, but man, it REALLY pulls in. I wonder if maybe I should block the sweater BEFORE I reknit the button band, to see how the ribbing turns out? That way if I have to reknit the ribbing, I don't have to rip out both the band and the 2nd half of the sweater.

You know, if I hadn't been knitting with my own handspun, I'd have just knit the thing up WRONG to be done with it, and just shoved it in the back of a drawer somewhere. But I know that if the ribbing doesn't look right, I will totally rip it out and reknit it. Is there a lesson in there somewhere for me?

Then I spent the rest of the weekend thinking about sweaters, and it is it really worth it to DYE and SPIN and KNIT entire sweaters? I mean, it takes a lot of time, especially when I don't devote myself to getting one thing at a time complete. I mean, how many spinning projects do I have going at once? A lot.
Truth is, I'm not that great a knitter. I've been knitting for 10 + years, but intermittently. And badly. After all I've gone through with Blugly (which is this pattern, Mr. Greenjeans, and most other knitters have had an easy time knitting it up - it's just ME that gets stuck on the learning curve), do I really think this is something I want to do over and over again? I mean, what an ordeal. How could I ever think of starting another sweater's worth of spinning?
I'll start taking suggestions NOW on what to call this fiber. For the sweater, I'm thinking that I may just do an Elizabeth Zimmerman "Percentage System" sweater and work in my own embellishments, rather than work from a pattern - that way after all this spinning, the sweater will really be My Own Work. What do you guys think?

5 comments:

Maxim said...

I wanted to see pictures of the button band of ASS!

JenLaurie said...

and I had to add more sock yarn to your project load. Bad Jen!!! So when are you buying more fiber online?

Anonymous said...

I think it should be called "Kangaroo". or V-8 Blues!

zoƫ said...

How about Blueberry Crunch?

It reminds me of yogurt with blueberries and granola, mmm...(off for a snack)

Dug said...

Actually, the Assband wasn't that bad... It reminds me a little of a Bomb Pop. So, that is what you should name it.