Thursday, June 19, 2008

Of Procrastination and Predrafting

I decided, with the huge 2+ lb pile of wool I've dyed for The Next Sweater, it would be a good idea if I predrafted as much of it as possible before spinning to ensure consistent results. Last night, instead of finishing up the first sleeve of Blugly, I pulled some of the wool roving into smaller strips, separated the fibers out and predrafted them a little, then wound the gauzy, drafted strips into pretty little coils and put them in a big plastic tub with a cat-proof lid. (You will note that I failed to take pictures of this. Perhaps tonight I will do so.) I did this for hours and hours - granted, I had to pause quite often to hug various cats and dogs who URGENTLY needed to sit on me and breathe in my face - and I have probably predrafted 1/32 of all that wool. Geezis.

Also, I got all excited yesterday, because I thought that I would be able to finish the first of the FrootLoop socks - after all, I'd knit on it for 5 hours on Tuesday, and probably an hour of carpooling-with-Dug time yesterday - but when I held it up to my foot I was nowhere close. So sad!

I'm noticing that knitting tiny little sock stitches makes my wrists hurt, so I don't think I'm going to be a professional sock knitter, but I'll get over it. I prefer focusing on sweaters, anyway. I'll just space out my sock knitting to give my wrists time to rest. Which will be difficult, because sock knitting is fun, and magical gifts of sock yarn appear on my desk every couple of months! (Pictures of latest magical gift of sock yarn to come.)

1 comment:

Dug said...

You still need to take pictures of your predrafting for those readers who don't spend their time managing cats so you are able to do it.