Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I Can't Grow Nice Fingernails, Either

Now it's not just the gardening that is distressing me - it's the manicures. All of the other female knit-bloggers in the universe take pictures of themselves holding their projects or demonstrating techniques and they have PERFECT MANICURES. How is this possible? They work with wool, which vacuums all of the moisture out of your hands and causes your fingernails to shrivel up and split right down the middle. At least I thought that's what happened; apparently it only happens to ME, because every other knitter on the planet has perfectly shaped, elegant nails with just a touch of clear polish, and smooth, ungnawed-upon cuticles. Whereas I look like I clip my nails by shoving my hands in the garbage disposal every day.

I've tried the simple stuff - vitamins, heavy duty nail repair polishes, that kind of thing - but I need some serious help here. Suggestions anyone? (Someone told me recently that I should try NOT biting my fingernails/cuticles/fingers/hands, but how the heck am I supposed to do that? I'm NERVOUS here, people.)

In other news, JAMES L. has won the contest for naming my New Sweater Wool. (We were having a contest? I don't know, I just made that part up, just now. I can do what I want.) The orange and deep teal fiber shall henceforth be known as Nuclear Pumpkin. (Isn't that the best name EVER?) Nuclear Pumpkin. I shall now squeal with delight. EEEeeeeee!!

3 comments:

Maxim said...

There's stuff you can put on your nails to make them taste bad.

Carey said...

I have used that stuff before. "Wow, this really tastes bad! NOM NOM NOM. Disgusting! NOM NOM NOM."

Maxim said...

Makes me think of this genetic disease (Lesch-Nyhan Syndrome) I heard about a couple weeks ago where they actually engage in self cannibalism! I bet bad tasting stuff wouldn't help with that either.